Friday, July 26, 2013

The Desire For Money-Paper 4

Money.  Money is the driving force in the television series Breaking Bad.  Money is one of the most common themes in the series.  Walter needs money to pay his medical bills, initially.  Jesse needs money because… well he needs it.  This driving force for money, this need for money is a reflection of society and the decisions we make. 
            Money is the driving force for many of our decisions.  We choose to get a job, in order to make money.  The reason most of us college students are in college, is to be able to acquire higher paying jobs.  I can personally say that I’m not in college to hang up a degree on my wall that says that I double majored in Government and History.  I’m in college to try and get a higher paying job when I get out.  My decision to go to college, is fuelled by my desire to receive decently sized, if not large, paychecks.  I’m in college to make money.  Walter and Jesse are in the drug business to make money.  Our end goals are the same.  Our method of getting there is difference.  That’s the only difference between me and Walter or Jesse.
            In the first episode we see Walter get diagnosed with inoperable lung cancer.  He has one to two years at the most to live.  So he decides to enter the meth business as a way of making money.  His desires, though, as to why he enters the drug business is a mystery.  He is closed and does not divulge much, if anything, of what he’s thinking.  The show leaves you puzzled as to why a high school chemistry teacher would just suddenly turn to a life of crime.  In later episodes, you begin to see that “too much money, ain’t enough money” for Walter.  The business gets riskier and bigger, he puts his own family in jeopardy.  But he’s willing to do it all for the money.

            Money is the driving force behind this series.  It is the driving force behind the main characters’ decisions.  This is how Jesse and Walter are just like me and probably everybody else in the class.  This is the economic issue at large.  We desire money.  It’s a fact of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment